Thursday, 25 August 2016

How To Play Civilization IV On Windows 10

I have enjoyed playing Civilization IV on my computer for a very long time now. Quite a few years. I own the disc, which is where the problem comes in now. Windows 10 doesn't include the old copy protection software from previous windows versions which allowed games like this to run so putting the disc in now allows me to 'install' Civilization IV, but not to actually play it. Everything just stops when I try, or the window will pop up momentarily and then disappear.
I have managed, after a lot of attempts to find a way to get around this problem and let me play my game on Windows 10 without taking the 'official' recommendation - just buy a new copy of the game from steam or amazon and that will work because the problem lies with the disc not with the game itself.
This is all fine for some people, but as I have already got the disc i'd rather not pay again for something I already have, so finding a way to get around the problem is required.


My method requires a few 'extras' which have to be installed or added to the games directory folder in order for it to work. I have uploaded the files to a few hosting sites and have linked them below:


Download CivilizationIVFix.zip from any of these sites, (or download all the individual files) and inside the .zip file are the following files:

  • Patch (file folder containing 'Civilization4.exe')
  • Civ4Patch1.74_Final.exe
  • d3dx9_31.dll
  • d3dx9_32.dll
You will need all of these files and your own Civilization IV installation disc in order to get this to work.

Here are the steps to install and play your game:
  1. Install Civilization IV from your own disc.
  2. Install 'Civ4Patch1.74_Final.exe' by running the executable file (double clicking the .exe) and follow through all the steps in the installer.
  3. Find the Civilization IV directory folder (On my computer it is in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4')
  4. Copy both 'd3dx9_31.dll' and 'd3dx9_32.dll' into this folder, replacing any existing files.
  5. Replace the 'Civilization4.exe' file in the directory with the one you downloaded in the 'Patch' folder.
  6. Run the game from the new .exe file and all should work fine.
Just a few notes on this:
  • This will only work if you have the disc, if you have downloaded the game from amazon or steam then it should work already, and if you have not got a copy then you cant use this method to get a free version of the game as it requires you to use your installer disc.
  • If you want to play the game without paying for it then you probably know where you can find it, and I'm not linking anywhere here either. If you enjoy the game then my suggestion is to buy it, this workaround is for people who have already bought the game but can't play it because of the Windows 10 update.
  • Finally, this workaround does require the use of the disc to install it but the game will now run anytime without the disc in the computer.

41 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot :) worked for me !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD GRIEF!! It works, I can't believe it, thanks so very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I go to do step 2, it says the game isn't installed (it is), help anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had this problem before, you could possibly try installing again from scratch. Otherwise there is a method as was noted on my reddit post by a commenter, that you can send your product key in and get a key for the game on steam for free.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It won't recognize my installed copy of Civ. Odd. Is there a workaround for it not detecting an installed copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had this problem before, you could possibly try installing again from scratch. Otherwise there is a method as was noted on my reddit post by a commenter, that you can send your product key in and get a key for the game on steam for free.

      Delete
  7. I can't seem to find the file. When I click on your links above, all types of crap downloads appear. Am I doing something wrong?? Thanks. DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try using an adblocker for zippyshare, the other two websites should have no problems though.

      Delete
  8. It works! I swear, I will find you, and I will kiss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You. This worked and your efforts made this easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant stuff,Owen! Many, many, many thanks mate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks work fine do you have something for warlords too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried this patch method yet. After installing the game from my disc and clicking on Play a window pops up stating I need to log in as an administrator (which I am). Will this method correct that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the problem that I had to start with

      Delete
  13. I have a disc bought off eBay that has worked for years on my old XP computer. I installed it onto my new Windows 10 computer and when I go to click play a pop-up comes up and tells me to log in as an administrator (which I am). I tried the patch and it said I don't have a copy of Civ IV installed on the computer.

    Do I have a fake copy of the game?
    Is there another patch I need?
    Any advice short of buying a new copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly try going through and making sure it is completely uninstalled and then trying again?

      Delete
  14. wooo finally a fix , I can play it again

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where should the game be installed? Where does the patch expect the game to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a default install location? Mine installed by default to

      C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

      Delete
  16. Worked for me thanks!,But still the same problem with the expansion pack Warlords.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bloody brilliant, you made me feel like Hacker Man when it actually started to load the game. Love your work Owen. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. your fix only half worked for me, I get a civ4 dialog box that blocks me from using the start menu in the game (where you choose new game, custom game ect...) it won't move even when your in a tutorial ( which you can still get to even with the civ4 dialog box covering the rest of the options in the in game start menu) any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only say what I experienced myself, were you doing this on a clean install of the game? Because if not then that could work.
      Otherwise you can visit the 2K website and submit a support request, it seems that if you have the serial key from your copy of the game then they will give you a key for the steam version which still works.

      http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/201967707-2K-Online-Server-Migration-from-GameSpy-Technology

      Delete
  19. Bought at a moving sale and have been trying to get to work for hours...omg, this worked perfectly, TY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My problem is that when I put in the Civ IV disc, my computer doesn't even recognize that there's a disc in the drive. What strikes me as even more odd, is that Civ III works, no problem on my Windows 10.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I try to run the patch, the "installing" bar only gets to about 95% and then does not finish. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

    I did try uninstalling CivIV and reinstalling it from disk. I also have the game installed on my D: drive instead of the default C: drive. (I normally only keep system software on the C: drive)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I try to run the patch, the "installing" bar only gets to about 95% and then never finishes. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you overcome it?

    I did uninstall and reinstall Civ IV first. The only other quirk I can think of is that I have the game installed on my D: drive instead of the default C: drive; but I'd really like to keep it that way if possible

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never mind my last comment... the fix worked!

    When I used the patch, it never finished because a GUI appeared that was minimized. So, I did not notice it. The GUI said something about, "path to game resources not found..." which depressed me. But when I clicked "OK", I got the message that the patch was successfully installed. So I made the file swaps, and sure enough the game now works.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. cheers for this info, much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  25. it still isn't working I get error mess. missing binkw32.dll and missing boost_python-vc71-mt-1_32.dll any idea what I did wrong

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant! Worked first time - thanks a million for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  27. everytime i launch the game i have to change the settings. is there a way to make them permanent?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the work of a genius. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Does anyone know if this works with Civ 4 Complete? I can't seem to get it to work

    ReplyDelete
  30. I also received the following error when trying to complete step two. However, I skipped that step and was still able to launch Civ4 Gold Edition. Thanks!

    "The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is installed.

    This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed."

    ReplyDelete